Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Perspective & Self Forgiveness

Today I learned the post office is releasing a "Forever" stamp in honor of Maya Angelou. She died less than a year ago, and on April 4th, she would have been 87 years old.

I keep a note from my mother on my desktop. One of her favorite quotes from I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings is about self forgiveness, "When I was young I did the best I could. As I grew older, I learned more and I did better." 
She also shared a collection of thoughts from one of Maya Angelou's interviews with Oprah, which I read when I need to gain perspective:

"I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life goes on, and it will be better tomorrow."

"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."

"I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life.'"

"I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance."

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back."

"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision."


"I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug or just a friendly pat on the back..."


"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

No comments:

Post a Comment